I want to talk about friends right now. And I don't mean friends in general - I do have so many friends and I am so thankful for that. I have some very dear friends back in Kansas. I also have high school friends and college friends, not to mention friends here in South Carolina.
But I'm talking about a close friend - a GOOD friend. I'm coming to realize that they are pretty hard to come by.
There have been so many opportunities down here to develop a close friendship - but nobody really ever takes the time. There are so many other agendas - so many other factors that get in the way.
So what am I really looking for? Here are the qualities I would love to find in a close friend:
- Someone who might call me at the drop of a hat to say good morning or "how are you doing?"
- Someone who I could call at the drop of a hat and vent to - who would actually listen to me without starting in on their own issues
- Someone who wants to do things with me, outside of the already scheduled activities that we're involved in such as water aerobics, mahjongg, work, small group etc.
- Someone who wants to invest herself in a closer relationship/friendship - who can both listen carefully and speak freely, both with her heart open
- Someone who is honest
- Someone who might just randomly call to see if I want to go out for coffee
This is not to take anything at all away from my husband - because all of these things exist with him. But sometimes, I just want a female friend. It's a little different - it's on a different level.
So why is this friendship so elusive? What makes it so difficult to pin down?
I'm not sure. A lot of my friends now are either retired or semi-retired and I would envision that they are looking for the same thing. Moving into a new neighborhood and being the new kid on the block is an issue - friendships already exist so therefore - well, there isn't room for one more. People are busy. Agendas and schedules are full. Time is precious. Yada Yada Yada.
In any event, while I continue on this journey of weight loss, I will remain hopeful. I want to find a good friend. Someone to share this with. The door is open!
Thanks for listening!