Friday, June 8, 2007

Music in the background

I don't know what the "experts" say about having music on in the background at a workplace, but I know that everywhere I've worked up until now, I have had something to listen to. When I worked for Larry and Randy, we had a huge collection of CD's to choose from. When I came to work in the mornings, I chose 6-8 CD's and put them on rotation. Sometimes we would also listen to KCLY.

When I worked for Leiszler Oil, we all had small radios at our desk and we had KCLY on all the time.

When I worked for Tami, KCLY was on in the background all day long.

When I worked at the hospital lab - same thing. KCLY. Now granted - there, I might not be able to hear it as well, but it was on none the less.

Now - here I am at my present job. My office is pretty much set apart from everyone else, so my music wouldn't bother anybody. The other two people don't listen to music during the day. There is not a radio or a CD player in sight. Its not office policy or anything, but I did read somewhere that "the office setting is not the place for music to be playing."

For me, it's hard not having music. I don't know if its the lack of distraction in the background or the fear of silence. Either way, I miss it. The thing is, now I don't mind so much. I'm usually busy enough that I don't notice. Its not that the phone rings so much or that I'm in constant communication with the others. But when I'm the only one in my office for the afternoon, I'd really like to turn on KCLY. I'd love to hear listener's classified. I'd love to hear those weather beeps. I'd love to hear my daughter's voice doing a commercial. I'd love to hear the great mix of music that they offer.

I have to admit - if I could possibly get KCLY.... I'd be pleading my case to the boss!

2 comments:

Chelsie said...

Great plug for KCLY! Wouldn't it be great to be able to listen? Good post!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sheryl....thanks for the nice comments about KCLY! It's nice to know we have that "hometown" sound that someone actually would miss hearing. Maybe someday we'll start webcasting, and you can listen on your computer.....very quietly, of course!