Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Celebrating the 4th in Washington, DC

Wow... does this city know how to celebrate the 4th of July or what! We opted to stay at home. Downtown, on the mall, they were expecting 500,000 people to watch the fireworks by the Washington Memorial. I really, really didn't want to try to get around that many people. Security was really going to be beefed up due to the goings-on in Scotland etc. - and driving down there is really a ridiculous thought.

All of the suburbs around us had fireworks celebrations as well. Its almost 11 o'clock at night and I can still hear the loud booms in the sky.

Mother Nature also had her show this afternoon around 5 o'clock. There was lots of rain and lightning and hail. The people downtown at the mall had to be evacuated for a couple of hours because of the storm and the possibility of tornados around - and was I ever glad that I wasn't down there!

We were content to watch it all on TV tonite - its not quite the same, but I felt it was safer and less stressful. As I said... this city really knows how to celebrate!

No comments: