Wednesday, September 10, 2008

McCain Palin Rally

Today was a HUGE McCain rally here in Fairfax and it turned out to be the biggest rally for him to date - there were over 10,000 people there. The rally was held at a park which had limited parking, so they had a shuttle service from a nearby strip mall. My friend Donna and I arrived at the mall around 7:15 am. We were loaded onto buses and shuttled to the park. There and 9,998 of our closest friends made our way into the park and through security hoops (good thing I cleaned out my purse) and then down to the area where the speeches would take place. We arrived there around 8 o'clock. The speeches weren't supposed to start until 10 - so we stood for 2 hours just waiting. Patiently. I had originally thought I would take my book and/or my knitting along to occupy my time. Good thing I thought twice about that because #1 there was nowhere to sit and #2 my knitting needles would have never made it through security! They weren't even letting people take little flags through security!



On the way through the line was a group of Obama supporters shouting all sorts of things - it was kinda fun but made me uncomfortable seeing as how I am very much a non-confrontational type of person. Here in the picture, you see a lady who "jumped the fence". She is showing off her t-shirt which says "Democrats for McCain". It caused quite the uproar!



This is a picture of the long line of people waiting to go through security. You can see that I am pretty close to the head of the line. Not sure how that happened - but you gotta love it!



There were secret service agents everywhere. Here is a picture of one of them. There is just something about a secret service man that makes me smile. It makes me feel secure (as well it should) and I love how they all "look alike". Know what I mean?




When Sarah Palin took the stage and began to speak, the crowd went wild! She was absolutely awesome! A lot of people I talked to (plus interviews I saw on TV tonite) said that the only reason they came to the rally was because of her!



It was just cool to see John McCain in person. I loved both of the speeches - it was equally cool to be in the crowd and feel the energy. It was a very fun morning! Drill baby, Drill!

No comments: