Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Dreaming of a White Christmas


I think that it goes without saying that the Christmas season brings with it so many memories and for me, it doesn't necessarily bring childhood memories as much as it does memories of when my children were little.

One of the things I think that I'll always remember is those two girls having to sleep in the same bed on Christmas Eve. Never mind that their twin beds were about a foot apart to begin with. That wasn't enough. No. They had to sleep in the same bed.

And when I say sleep, I use that word loosely. There really wasn't much sleep. They whispered and giggled and I'm sure tried with all their might to fall asleep - but it was in vain - because truly "visions of sugarplums" danced in their heads.

It would always be late when we finally got to bed on Christmas Eve. For a good part of the time, we attended midnight Christmas Eve services in Idana. We would be at a family gathering that evening, attend the Christmas Eve service and then head home. There was always the routine of putting out milk and cookies for Santa - and then off to bed.

I remember sitting on the sofa listening for them to fall asleep so that "Santa" could come. As paper rustled and stockings were stuffed, I'm sure they heard every single thing. But as they were little, they never seemed to associate those noises with the arrival of Santa.

Soon, and I do mean soon, those little girls and eventually little brother in tow, were upstairs standing beside the bed - staring at me.......waiting for our eyes to be open. And being just loud enough so that we'd wake up. To say that our Christmas mornings started early would be an understatement!

To this day, those girls would sleep in the same bed on Christmas Eve given the chance. I know that both of them still have trouble falling asleep - and if I were truthful, so do I. The "magic" of Christmas morning is very special. The sight of the tree all lit up - the hope of snow on the ground - the smells and the anticipation.

Today, on Christmas Eve, I remember that manger and the baby Jesus laying there - and the anticipation that was all around that Christmas morning. Nothing can compare to that event - and today, as I remember the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I wish everyone a very Blessed and Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Chelsie said...

That was very well written - and so true! What good memories!