Thursday, June 5, 2008

Estes Park

I just got back from a long weekend in Estes Park, CO. My Dad's side of the family has a reunion at the YMCA of the Rockies every 2 years. To say that it is a soul-soother is putting it mildly.



The mountains just draw you to them I think. It was just absolutely beautiful. We took Trail Ridge Road up into the Rocky Mountain National Park. It had actually been closed just a few days before from so much snow. I love the winding roads and I love the majesty of the mountains.



One of the best things about going to this reunion of course is the family. My dad came from a family of 11 brothers and sisters. Two of them died very young, but the 9 of them grew up together and have been very close. As time has moved on, we've lost three of them. They are all quite a bit older now and so every time that we are together is precious. One of the coolest things is that when I see my uncles, I see my Dad. My dad has been gone now for 12 years - but when I see especially my Uncle Lyle and Uncle Gene, I see my Dad because they look so much alike.



Then - there are my cousins. I literally grew up with a lot of them and we too are very close. As with the brothers and sisters, we too have lost some. One of my cousins and my brother are gone now - and as I said, each reunion is precious.



Here is a picture of me standing next to the snow that was pushed away from the road on Trail Ridge Road. See? I told you they had snow!

It was a great long weekend - and I'm ready to go back!

No comments: