Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sunday Afternoon in the Park

I told Jay this morning on our way home from church that after my nap, I'd like to stop and get an iced coffee and then go to a park or go to a nursery to look at flowers. I'm not going to get any flowers for the deck because we're going to be moving in about a month and a half. I might as well wait until we get settled in instead of moving outside plants.

So - Jay "googled" Fairfax parks and came up with Meadowlark Park. We thought it was just a nice park, but as it turned out, it was Meadowlark Botanical Gardens. It was an absolutely beautiful day with a little breeze and I had a wonderful time taking in all the beauty.



The place was not crowded at all - just a pleasant amount of people. It was quiet as well. There were a good number of flowers out but an even larger number that were not even blooming yet. The peonies had huge buds on them - I'm guessing that in a week, they would be in full bloom.



The grounds were very well cared for. They had little signs stuck in the ground all over the place for identification purposes. They also had several benches along the way so that you could just sit and enjoy the view.



There were a couple of ponds with geese and a very nice fountain. They also had a children's area with a Maypole!



It was just such a pretty afternoon and a surprise treat - we had no idea that it was a botanical garden.



And in case you were wondering, the iced coffee was delicious as well!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Thanks for the pics. I'm going to go there sometime soon, I hope.