Monday, October 6, 2008

Say "NO" to Morphine

Today was my semi-annual throat stretching - for those of you who don't know what this is, don't worry about it. It's a long story without any great details - but I can breathe much better now and that's a good thing.

Let me take you back to December of last year when they put that stent in my trachea - and it got loose - and I spent 5 days over Christmas in an induced-coma - and how I felt like fuzz for about a week after I woke up -

Well, this morning when I woke up after they dialated my trachea, it kinda hurt. The nurse asked me if there was any pain and I said yes - and she had me rate it on a scale of 1-10 and I said 8. She gave me Morphine.

Let me just do a little evaluation here. The pain scale varies a LOT when you're just waking up out of anesthesia. If I would have been fully awake, I probably would have said 3. I remember saying 8 very clearly - but it always kind of hurts when I wake up after this and it also goes away within an hour. I certainly could have and always do "gut it out". Not today. Today I had Morphine - and I'm still paying for it. I just feel fuzzy. I hope that when I wake up in the morning I'll be more clear. My throat feels excellent - and I can breath wonderfully.

Now - to get rid of the fuzz!

No comments: