Monday, October 22, 2007

Victim of Circumstance

Here I was, trying hard to drive carefully. I was. I always do. They have this sign that you see around here that says DON'T BLOCK THE BOX! It means, don't block a square area where people turn, don't block the intersection, and don't block a business exit. I understand what it means and I'm very careful about making sure that I'm not a box blocker.

So, back to me minding my own business. I was driving along and I wasn't sure if I needed in the right lane or the middle lane. I finally saw the sign and realized that I needed to scoot over a lane. The cars in that line were moving along and there was nobody behind me so I was able to move over without any problem. The thing is, as soon as I did, the line came to a screeching halt and there I was - right in front of a lane exit for a bank. As I was coming to a stop, there was nobody there - but about 5 seconds after I stopped, a big black pickup came around the corner of the bank and wanted out. He pulled up to my car within about a 1/2" or so I'd say and laid on the horn. He was angry! I was blocking him and he had to wait.

Well there was nothing I could do about it. It truly wasn't my fault that I was blocking him, though I can see how he thought it was my fault. I understand that he was frustrated. But he was mad at me - and for no real good reason. He just laid on the horn until he was blue..... and until I was crying. I hate that.

There I was, stuck. I couldn't move and this guy in the big black truck was about to mow me down and eat me for lunch. I looked at him and mouthed the words "I'm sorry" . A lot of good that did. He continued to lay on the horn. I continued to cry.

Finally the line moved and I was able to get out of His Highness's way. I know he was swearing at me and thought I was an incompetent driver and all - but that time I wasn't.

I cried for about a mile. I hate city drivers. I hate traffic. I hate big black trucks. I hate being a victim of circumstances.

No comments: