Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Leaving Virginia

This is probably just going to be a rambling - but I think I just need to put my thoughts down.

Leaving Virginia really is hardly even bitter-sweet. In a few cases it is - and those cases would involve friends. One other case would be all the historical things there are around here to see. But beyond that, not so much.

Jay and I have talked about the fact that we have really already mentally checked out. He is finishing a class tonight and then he can really focus elsewhere. For me, I'm not working now, I'm finished going to knitting and we just attended our last worship service this past Sunday. I've had breakfasts, lunches and dinners with friends as has Jay - and really, we're now just waiting for the movers to arrive on Thursday.

We've seen pretty much everything we've wanted to see here as far as monuments and museums go. We would have liked to go to Gettysburg again - but that can happen sometime in the future I guess. We've enjoyed the cherry blossoms and Dorothy's red slippers. We've seen battlefields and statues. We've had fun at the Spy Museum and been teary eyed at the Holocaust Museum. We've viewed art and scenery.

Beyond that, we've made some wonderful friends and been a part of some terrific worship.

All that said, I've had the side of my car scratched up more times that I can even say because people are so careless in my parking lot. It seems like it's every man for himself here. I know that doesn't seem fair - but nobody seems to care if they knick your door.

I've been honked at over and over because I'm not a trigger moment quicker out of the starting gate when the light turns green.

I've been a part of traffic that is so annoying and had my bumper ridden every single day because people are in such a hurry to get where they are going - the stress level in this city is incredible.

We've not had close friends. Everyone is busy. Everyone gets home from work at o'dark thirty and leaves at o'dark thirty and don't have time. We've only been invited over to one family's house for dinner. A knitting friend of mine invitited us over but we were unable to go - but that certainly was appreciated! :) I have one friend who I could call and say "Do you have time for a cup of coffee?" and she would say yes. Otherwise, it would take practically an act of congress to find a time with anyone else.

One little comfort zone has definitely been my knitting group. I've felt "at home" there from day one. Those women are for real and know how to share their hearts. That - I will miss.

Ok - so. Now that I've moaned on and on, I am saying this. I'm ready to move on and I'm ready to make more friends and find a place in the south. I'm anxious to settle in our new home and anxious to find the church where God wants us to be. I'm eager to find out how we can serve Him.

We certainly have been blessed here - and for that, I am thankful. Our move has also been a gift from God. Another chapter is unfolding. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I'll miss getting to see you occasionally. Have fun in SC and keep in touch.

The Chance Family said...

Awesome news of the move and so sorry for the awful experience of the busy cities. If it makes you feel any better, that's how our lives sound in KS sometimes, in the hustle and bustle, we often don't make time for thsoe relationships that are most important to us or could blossom. Praying everything with the move was as least stressful as possible!